Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Challenge #122 - Anything Goes

When It Rains, It Pours: You Need an Umbrella!
Devotional by Diane Noble

On any given day, we might long for a few peaceful moments as our lives seem to get increasingly hectic.  No doubt you've had times described by the "when it rains, it pours" cliche'.  Too many deadlines to keep, too many activities to juggle, too many people demanding more of you, and suddenly you feel like you're in a debilitating deluge getting drenched.

Peace - we grab it where and when we can, we hold it over our heads to deflect the downpour for just a few moments - a 15 minute soak in the tub is a luxury, a quiet evening out with your husband is delightful but rare, an evening when you find you are alone in the house and you just sit to soak up the quiet.  Peace - we long for it because we spend our days hurrying and worrying, don't we?  There are so many things in our world to worry about.  What are your umbrellas?  What helps you stay dry during the storms of life?

I have to confess, one of my umbrellas is Pinterest.  Pinterest?!?! I told you I was confessing!  I spend nearly an hour on most days leisurely browsing pins as though I were strolling through the cool and quiet marble halls of an art gallery.  I pin nearly everything I see.  Pinning makes me happy.  Pinning makes me momentarily believe that I could recreate what I see, makes me dream of having the time and talent to pull off those perfect projects.  Pinterest is my get-away.  The problem is, I rarely make what I pin.  Perhaps I create a CASED card now and then.  But mostly, I just pin and dream.  All too soon, I'm grabbed from my reverie as the rains of reality start soaking through my umbrella and I have to make a dash back into life dodging puddles as I go.  Life gets muddy; and the peace doesn't last.

Any peace, any quiet refuge we find in this world won't last.  We can't expect it to.  The world isn't capable of giving us lasting peace.  No spa days, no shopping-just-for-me days, no pills, no get-aways, no counselor - they are all umbrellas that will tear under the weight of pelting torrents of real-life drama. The rain always comes again.  We need a peaceful shelter that will last.

That's why Jesus offers the teaching in our challenge verse, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."  (John 14:27)  What an amazing promise!  The peace that Jesus offers to us can eliminate our troubled hearts.  Notice, He doesn't imply that His peace removes troubles from our lives.  Troubles will still rain down, no doubt.  But His peace will heal a troubled and fearful heart.  That is a shelter worth seeking.  As we come into deep relationship with the Savior, surrendering self and sin, we come under His shelter.  More than an umbrella, His peace is water-proof armor.  We can move through the storms of life and not get wet.  "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." (Isaiah 43:2)  Peace.  Walking through floods and not getting wet, marching through rivers and crossing on dry land, standing in fiery furnaces and not getting singed - that is the power of the peace of Christ.  The floods are there, and rivers rush by us, fires sweep through our lives.  Still, the peace of Christ sweeps through our hearts, fuels our faith, strengthens our resolve, and moves us forward.  Peace, not as the world gives, but His peace.  The only true peace.  Is His peace your peace?  If you trust Him, your troubled heart can know His power, His presence, and His amazing peace.

As always, you are welcome to save this week's free scripture/word art file to your computer, but are not required to use it in order to play along in our challenges.   We welcome you share your art with us; remembering that Anything Goes as long as it's family-friendly, and uses an encouraging or uplifting sentiment. This includes any type of art (not just limited to cards).  You may link up to 5 projects each week. The more you enter, the more you increase your odds of winning.  It is our desire that God's Word will be a blessing and encouragement to you each week. If you have any questions about the rules, be sure to read the complete list of rules under our page tab for "Challenge Rules".  Because our ultimate goal is to honor God, we have no other choice but to delete any entries that do not adhere to these guidelines (dark images).  Let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for your understanding and participation!

Here's this week's beautiful scripture/word art files.
We hope that they will be a blessing to you!
Here are this week's PHENOMENAL sponsors:
The wonderful Freckled Fawn is offering
one lucky winner a $15 Gift Certificate
to their super fun store!
AND
One lucky person will win
a 10£ Gift Certificate to
Crafty Ribbons -This lovely store
is filled with luscious ribbons, laces and trims!

And now...here are this week's winners:
The winner of a $15 Gift Certificate
to the wonderful store Classy Cards 'N Such
is Entry #47 - Sara I.
AND
The winner of THREE SETS from
Daydream Designs is
Entry #108 - Ann Whitfield

May God bless all our amazing sponsors.
We appreciate them all SO very much!
Here's some inspiration from our Design Team
Our March Guest Designer, Sandra Carey
Using wrong scripture (Karen's fault) and
digi papers from Daydream Designs - Shine Like Stars
Lori Ulrich


24 comments:

kbrandy4 said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful DT creations! Have a wonderful day!
Hugs, Hazel xx

Sandra Carey said...

Thank you so much for asking me to be Guest Designer this month I Love the Dt card great Inspiration Hugs Sandra xx

Gail said...

Thank you Diane for the lovely devotional - I am doing a Study with Beth Moore at my church - Breaking Free - PEACE is one of the topics - what a blessing to get into God's Word daily and learn from Him - the author of peace - have a lovely week DT and thanks for your lovely creations for inspiration - Blessings - Gail

Crafteresa said...

hello this is my first visit to your blog, I love The Word and the wonderful way that calligraphy and differing fonts can transform words into art! I am going to play along but need to just ask....if I download your word art can I use it to make cards etc or just for your challenge? what are the restrictions?

thanks for the challenge, I hope to rise to it!

Crafteresa xx

Ustvarjalni utrinki Tamara P. said...

Amazing work ladies
great ew week
hugs and blessings Tamara

Bunny said...

Hey, Karen. How can I download the word art files from this in black and white? I am computer challenged. Thanks, Bunny.

Kim B said...

Such a wonderful devotion. So very true. I think I may be guilty of pinterest too. Beautiful DT creations. Thank you all.

Papercrafting Princess said...

What a double blessing!

Unknown said...

You ladies do such wonderful project samples. I am going to have to remember to play again before the end of this challenge so I can use that wonderful word art!

Mynn xx said...

Thank you for another wonderful chance to link up and more gorgeous inspiration from the DT gals!!! :) Mynn xx

Unknown said...

Love reading your devotions. Fabulous! The creative inspirations from your DT are wonderful. Thank you for the challenge.

Many blessings,
Cindy

Ann said...

Lovely creations by the DT.

Chris said...

Always so uplifting to visit here. Both from the DT and the post themselves. Thanks!

nancyparker55 said...

Beautiful work by the DTs. Thank you for the wonderful freebie. Love your challenges!

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful work DT!!!

Beebeebabs said...

Beautiful work DT!!!

MAXymalnie Papierowo said...

Hello! Thank you for this blog. I'm glad I came here! Beautiful blog and beautiful ideas! Regards from Poland! MAX

Dorothy S said...

Thank you for your challenges, your inspiring examples, and your always encouraging comments.

Bunny said...

As always, very lovely DT work. Thank you for the inspiration y'all always give.

Crafteresa said...

Thanks, the encouragement was much needed! 1st time I have played along with the challenge.

Karen said...

Beautiful words and lovely creations once again this week! :o) Thank you for the inspiration and another wonderful challenge! Have a blessed and peaceful day!

Hugs and blessings,
Karen

Crafteresa said...

I couldnt help myself, had to have anothe go!

Moshie said...

I came to enter my mini album and at first thought it did not meet the requirements because I had not added scripture. But, I did add the words "Joy, Peace, Love, and Hope" and I think those are as uplifting and come straight from the Bible. lol I hope you think it qualifies also. Thank you again for standing on the firm foundation of God's word! May He always keep you under His wings of protection. Blessing to all and thanks for this blog!

Little C's Creations said...

Thank You for the devotional, Diane. Thank You for the freebies, and the DT's projects are so beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for posting a challenge that shares the Word of God!! Have a blessed week!!! ALOHA!!!